SEO and SEM for Russian search engines

Yandex’s Monthly Audience Surpasses TV’s in April

I have written a lot of posts about fast-growing Russian Internet and brought up a lot of fascinating numbers and stats about Yandex and other Internet businesses. Here is yet another impressive fact about Runet: in April the daily audience of Yandex (the largest Russian search engine) surpassed the daily audience of Russia’s main TV channel (Channel 1). In April 2012 Yandex was visited by 19.1 million people every day, while Channel 1 was watched by 18.2 million, reports TNS:

* The red line represents the daily audience of Yandex, dark green – of Channel 1, the rest – other nation-wide TV stations.

Of course, this dynamics cannot be ignored by advertisers. Russia’s expenditures on SEO in 2011 increased by 56% comparing to the year before, ending up at 41,8 billion Russian rubles (approx. 1.3 billion US dollars or 1.03 billion Euro). TV however is still accountable for over 50% of advertizing budgets in the country.

TV representatives do not view Yandex as a threat to their advertizing earnings. An average person watches Channel 1 for one hour re day, while average user of Yandex spend there only 10 minutes. Besides, search engines do not have control over the content, like TV does.

In a meantime, Yandex reached 20 billion Russian rubles in profit in 2011, comparing to 28 billion earned by Channel 1. With the expected growth of 40-45% for 2012, Yandex will very likely earn more money than any TV channel in the country by the end of 2012.

Anna Oshkalo

Anna is a blogger and online marketing consultant specializing in SEO and SEM for Russian search engines. To see more of Anna's posts, follow her on Twitter, or LinkedIn.

More Posts

Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

7 Responses to “Yandex’s Monthly Audience Surpasses TV’s in April”

1. klotin says:

Do you have statistics for russian Google to drop on the same chart? I wonder how that one does over the same time.

2. Anna says:

Don’t have any official stats, no. But check this report by Liveinternet http://bit.ly/LOi35g. It maps Yandex vs. Google.ru traffic from the end of 2009 till now, so you can more or less get the picture.

3. klotin says:

Thanks… Looking on at the charts makes me think that Yandex grows its userbase faster than Google. Also, would you recommend Yandex Metrika over Google Analytics for a Russian language site? Does Yandex use its Metrika data for the serp same way as Google does? Should I use just one of the two or both?

4. Anna says:

Good question. I would say it depends how much Russian you know (because I am not sure Metrika’s interface is translated) and what your needs have. Metrika is a good and powerful tool, and has very good integration with Yandex Direct, for example, so if you work with both SEO and PPC, I’d say it’s worth implementing.

5. Akshat says:

Hi Anna,

Interesting chart. Would you also have mail.ru, VK, odnoklassniki, and other tv channels. Also, is this data publically available? If yes, would you be kind enough to share the source. as in I know its a TNS data but where is it on thier website Thanks

6. Anna says:

Hi Akshat, I haven’t come across any data about TV vs. social networks. If I read something on that topic, I will make sure to let you know.

7. lorenzo says:

Hi anna…do you have stats of TV audience in Russia? cheers