This is the first post of the series “10+ things to know before you start”. I decided to create this category because although Yandex works in a similar way to Google, there are several Yandex-specific factors, which you must consider when doing your Yandex SEO.
Quotation index is one of them.
Quotation index is a grade of importance given by Yandex to your website (similar to Google’s PR). It does not affect your rankings, but shows how trusted your site is from Yandex point of view.
The scale of quotation index is very broad. It can vary from 0 to 150 000 =) And there is no correlation with Google PR whatsoever. Good private sites usually have quotation index from 150 till 1000, major newspapers and TV channels’ sites – between 1000 and 10 000.
There are several known for sure factors that affect quotation index:
- Number of backlinks of your site
- Trust level of your backlinks (comes with age, good directories listings, backlinks etc.)
- Relevancy of your backlinks (e.g. if you sell refrigerators and get backlinks from flower delivery sites, it will not help to boos your quotation index.. not much, anyway)
- Quotation index of your backlinks
- Quality of your content
- Number and trustworthiness of your external links
- Number of internal links
- Patterns of your link building
- Patterns of your linking to external sources
- Geographic location of your backlinks
- Date of registration in the Yandex directory
These are the factors you have to look at when looking for websites to get links from.
Some additional points to remember:
- High PR does not automatically mean high quotation index and vice versa, however strong trusted sites usually have good parameters in both Google and Yandex!
- Both PR and quotation index can be rather easily artificially inflated. Look for trusted sites rather than for sites with high Google and Yandex parameters!
To be continued…